Why do we set homework?
Homework should consist of meaningful and worthwhile tasks or projects designed to extend the learning of the student outside the classroom and to:
- extend and support classwork
- consolidate and reinforce skills and understanding
- extend and support every student’s learning
- develop the skills of an independent learner
- develop deep learners rather than surface learners
- allow students to gain and practise the skills and knowledge that they will be required to reproduce in assessment situations such as exams
- develop skills and attributes such as resilience and investigation
- develop abilities in time management and organisation essential in life and beneficial to students as they leave the Academy and progress to college or enter the workforce
How and where should homework be recorded?
Homework should be recorded in the student planner. It should be recorded when the homework/coursework is due in. This is so management of time can be planned. Note on the deadline date that there is homework/coursework due in. This will enable both students and parents/carers to review the planner each evening to ensure that students meet each deadline for the following day.
How long will students get to complete the work?
Homework deadlines may vary depending on the subject, year group of the student and the nature of the work. Please see downloads below for details of homework set for each year group. Individual Teachers may set work additional to this which will be recorded in planners as detailed above.